North Africa / Morocco COPY
This once in a lifetime trip is an unforgettable and unique Gravel cycling adventure, both on and off the bike, catering for riders and non-riding partners, alike.
The majesty of Morocco is a feast for the senses and is waiting to be explored on an epic journey across the mountains and desert plains. Discover the best of Morocco that is destined to awaken the senses, as we cycle through and visit the best that this exotic country has to offer.
The cycling experience of our ride captains, combined with the knowledge of our local tour guides, will enable us to offer you an unforgettable trip to this magical Kingdom.
Our trip starts in Marrakech an ancient, exotic city wrapped in European modernity and filled with sights, scents and vibrant colour. We tackle the most famous climb in the Atlas Mountains, continuing into traditional Berber villages, riding through spectacular rugged Gorges, that Dades has become famous for. Cycling into the Sahara Desert plains and around the famous giant Erg Chebbi sand dunes, is an experience that stays with you forever. Think hot air ballooning at sunrise, camel rides at sunset and sleeping under the desert stars in your luxury Sahara campsite. A truly memorable photographic haven.
Upon leaving the stunning desert of Morocco behind, we pass through Ifran, which is known as the Switzerland of Morocco, before finishing the trip in Fes, the third largest city of Morocco and dating back to the medieval era.
This is a trip for adventure seekers that will create fond memories which will last forever.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS TRIP
- Morocco is an incredible and rewarding experience both on and off the bike.
- A country known for its seriously good gravel riding, vibrant colour, friendly inhabitants, delicious food, stunning scenery and varied terrain.
- Fully supported rides with guides, mechanics, tools and support vehicle.
- A once in a lifetime experience riding through the Atlas Mountains, Dades Gorges and Sahara Desert plains.
- Our local tour guides will provide privileged access to hidden experiences.
- Premium 5 star unique accommodation.
- Glamping in the Sahara dunes under the desert stars.
- All inclusive off the bike activities and beautiful places to visit.
- Explore modern and traditional Morocco to better understand its melting pot of cultures and traditions.
- Relax at a traditional Hammam.
- Excellent shopping at the vibrant souks and spice markets.
- Unforgettable sunset and sunrise experiences including hot air ballooning and camel riding in the golden Erg Chebbi dunes.
- Explore Fes, one of the oldest medieval cities in the world.
THE APRÈS VÉLO GRAVEL CYCLING TOUR IS NOT JUST ABOUT THE BIKE. IT'S ABOUT THE APRÈS VÉLO LIFESTYLE AND CREATING FOND MEMORIES THAT WILL LAST FOREVER.
You will experience why Morocco is the perfect gravel riding destination – a country known for its vibrant colour, friendly inhabitants, stunning scenery and amazing gravel trails.
Discover the authenticity of Morocco that is deeply rooted in culture and history.
Moroccan cuisine is delicious and influenced by Berber, Jewish, Arab, and French cultures.
We understand the importance of down time, comfort and peace, and have structured our itinerary accordingly in peaceful and luxurious accommodation.
JOIN US FOR OUR ALL INCLUSIVE MOROCCO GRAVEL CYCLING TOUR
Our team will welcome you at the airport to help with your luggage, before transferring you to your boutique hotel in the heart of Marrakech. (For those arriving a day earlier to unwind, transfers will still be provided. Please let us know if you would like us to arrange an extra nights accommodation for you).
Enjoy a half day all-inclusive city tour of Marrakech. Alternatively, explore Marrakech at your own pace, discovering the brilliant colours of the spice markets, the sounds of musicians, delectable foods, and perfumed gardens.
Our team will help with your bike set-up to ensure you are good to go when we hit the trails tomorrow.
Over an evening sundowner, you will get to meet your fellow adventurers and the Après Vélo team, who will provide a tour debriefing.
When night falls, Marrakech turns into a hive of activity with drama in progress wherever you look. Dine at a restaurant overlooking the square, where snake charmers, Henna-painters, street vendors and performers will provide for an unforgettable evening.
Your adventure has well and truly begun!
Accommodation – Riad Elegancia
On our ride menu, we will be offering 2 different options, with and without the Tizi ‘n Tichka climb.
Probably the most famous climb in the Atlas Mountains, Tizi ‘n Tichka is incredible, with absolute pristine roads, having been resurfaced in 2019.
The road twists and turns for all the 35km of the climb, at an average gradient of just 3%.
The heart of the climb is in the top section with genuine switchbacks and breathtaking views. At over 2000m, you will start to feel the coolness, with scenery reminiscent to the lunar landscapes of Mont Ventoux. As you get close to the summit incredible photo opportunities await.
Those who don't feel like climbing Tizi n' Tichka will enjoy a coffee at the top, where together, we'll ride through Kasbah of Telouet and Valley of Ait Ounilla before the awesome descent down to Ait Ben Hadou before a well-earned lunch.
After lunch, we will enjoy a peaceful 1hr transfer to the Oasis of Skoura, a quaint berber village where we'll stay in a beautiful Riad/Kasbah style accommodation.
Accommodation – Ksar El Kebbaba
In the afternoon relax in the paradise of your hotel, perched at an altitude of 1612m in the middle of the Mountains. Enjoy a delicious Moroccan dinner, whilst watching the sunset over the desert.
Accommodation - Hotel Xaluca Dades
After breakfast, we'll head into the foothills of the Atlas Mountains, testing our lungs at altitude as we approach 2,000m while riding through the renowned rugged gorges Dades has become famous for. In the afternoon, treat yourself to a massage in the hotel Spa and Hammam or sunbathe at the outdoor pool. For the more energetic, you can spend your afternoon with our tour guides, taking a hike in the Atlas Mountains or exploring the traditional Berber Village before another great Moroccan feast.
Accommodation - Hotel Xaluca Dades
It doesn't take us long to hit our first climb of Touririte Peak, which hits the summit at approximately 2,000m. Upon reaching our ride destination in Alnif, we take a short transfer to Erfoud, an oasis town in the Sahara Desert, which is our home for the night.
Erfoud is a destination for filmmakers due to the beauty of the surrounding Sahara Desert and the town's oasis.
- Spectre (James Bond)
- Prince of Persia
- The Mummy
Accommodation – Kasbah Hotel Xaluca Arfoud
We depart our hotel towards Merzouga, home to one of Morocco's biggest dunes, Erg Chebbi formed by wind-blown sand. Be prepared for anything - sandy patches, hard gravel, or mud. The terrain is constantly changing depending on the localised weather systems and it's all part of the adventure. Enjoy the afternoon in the comfort of Riad Chebbi, your luxury hotel located in the middle of the Sahara dunes. This oasis of tranquillity combines rustic charm, hospitality, and luxury to provide an authentic desert experience.
Accommodation - Riad Chebbi luxury accommodation
Incredible photo opportunities await, where your friends will envy the beauty that you're surrounding yourself with. What better way to finish off this incredible day, than with a camel ride at sunset. This evening, we'll watch the sunset from atop a sand dune and sleep under the stars at a desert camp, a perfect end to a truly memorable day.
Accommodation – Sahara Luxury Desert Camp
Time pending, we will stop via Ifrane for lunch (the Switzerland of Morocco) and a chance for a quick exploration. Don’t worry, there will be plenty of other stops along the way and opportunities to explore authentic Moroccan villages that you otherwise would never have had the chance to do. We'll get to experience some famous mint teas and our guides will provide a few surprise drive-byes en-route. Fes is the third-largest city of Morocco and dates back to the medieval era.
Tonight, we'll enjoy a farewell dinner at the hotel.
Accommodation - Hotel Sahrai Fes
Our team will provide a transfer to Fes Sais International Airport.
Speak to us about organising additional days, accommodation and tours in Morocco.
Marrakech: Explore Marrakech prior to the start of our trip. There is a lot of ancient history, sightseeing and unique shopping opportunities.
Chefchaouen: A day trip from Fes, Chefchaouen (the blue city) is known for its striking, blue-washed buildings, roofs, flower pots, stairs, which line its steep cobbled lanes, flanked by leather and weaving workshops.
Fes: You can explore Fes in your own time and indulge in some of the many food tours, perfume making classes or explore the beautiful architecture, mosques, museums, flea and street markets etc.
The Après Vélo itinerary may be subject to route changes, and other modifications subject to circumstances prevailing at the time.
PRICES & DATES
Cannondale Topstone and GT Carbon Pro Gravel bikes are included in the tour price for use throughout the duration of the tour. See bike specs here:
GT Carbon Pro
Should you wish to purchase a new Gravel Bike at an excellent price awaiting your arrival in Marrakech, we have a range of Gravel Bikes for you to choose from. This order will need to be placed at least 3 months prior to your arrival.
Après Vélo have collaborated with 3T Cycling who make the world's finest and lightest equipment for every kind of bike racing including 3T’s award winning range of aero gravel bikes https://www.3t.bike/en/234-exploro
Please email us with your requirements in this regard at email@example.com
9 days / 8 nights all inclusive trip.
Day 1. Riad Elegancia
Day 2. Ksar El Kebbaba
Day 3 & 4. Hotel Xaluca Dades
Day 5. Kasbah Hotel and Spa
Day 6. Riad Chebbi
Day 7. Sahara Luxury Camp
Day 8. Hotel Sahrai
Day 9. Check out of Hotel Sahrai
See bike spec here:
- Should you wish to purchase a gravel bike, these will be made available for collection in Marrakech through prior arrangement https://www.3t.bike/en/234-exploro
- Should you wish to rent an E Gravel Bike, we can arrange this for you at a cost of €50 per day.
- All breakfasts, lunches and dinners.
- Snacks & hydration during the day.
- Alcohol and soft drinks provided with meals.
- Ride support with safety focus paramount. We recognise that no rider is the same and we ensure that no-one is left behind.
- 1 Ride Captain for every 7-8 guests.
- Support vehicles.
- Bike mechanic.
- Bottled water.
- On road nutrition & hydration.
- Half day tour of Marrakech.
- Hot air ballooning.
- Camel riding.
- Cooking classes.
- Guided hiking in Dades.
- Private guided tours along the way.
- Marrakech International Airport pick up.
- Fes International Airport drop off.
- All transfers throughout the duration of the trip.
- Luggage & bike transfers.
- We have taken the hassle out of you tipping throughout the tour. We will adequately take care of this on your behalf, for the entire support crew and service providers.
- Laundry facilities will be provided every second day.
- Receive a gallery of lifelong memories from incredible images taken on tour.
- Après Vélo Cycling Jersey + Souvenir T-shirt.
- Travel and personal insurance.
- Additional hotel expenses i.e. in-room hotel charges, incidentals.
- Upgraded bike hire (if required). We can arrange this on your behalf. Pricing, Brand and Spec details TBC.
- E Gravel bikes. This can be arranged for you at an additional charge of €50 per day.
APRÈS VÉLO ENCOURAGES AND WELCOMES NON RIDING PARTNERS TO ATTEND OUR MOROCCO TOUR.
Riders and non-riding partners partake in all meals, and post ride activities making it an inclusive and shared experience for all.
A specific itinerary will be put together for non-riding partners that will ensure an equally satisfying and fulfilling experience.
Non Riding partners will receive a 20% discount off the quoted prices.
HAVE MORE QUESTIONS?
See our FAQs page for answers to common questions or contact us via email.
NEED MORE INFO?
See our links below for more information about this tour.